BOY, I love to hear clueless guys tell me what feminism ought to be about!
See, here’s what I didn’t understand, apparently.
Feminism isn’t about making all females flawless and perfect, and all men as pigs and oppressors, it’s about blah blah blah some OTHER thing that fits his messed up…
Do we really need this word “mansplaining”? Near as I can tell, its intended meaning is “a man lecturing a woman on a topic a woman would inherently have a better understanding of.” However, in practice, its use seems to translate as “The words of anyone who disagrees with me are inherently invalid.”
Ms. Simone’s use above doesn’t bother me, but I’ve read posts by others that literally used the phrase, “I don’t need anyone mansplaining to me why I’m wrong.” - i.e. the poster’s opinion is unassailable, because anyone who disagrees is just mansplaining, and mansplaining can be dismissed out of hand. All disagreement is pre-emptively labeled “mansplaining”.
I’ve also seen disagreement that had nothing to do with gender dismissed as mansplaining. (I got hit with it during a discussion as to the quality of the new Clash of the Titans with respect to the source myths.)
- adefunctblog likes this
- arsenix likes this
- brentkeane likes this
- cythraul reblogged this from gailsimone and added:
- jellyfishery likes this
- time-traveling-waitress likes this
- ceebee-eebee likes this
- lettersfromtheattic said: Tumblr alternates between being mansplaincentral and being an awesome place for discussion.
- lettersfromtheattic likes this
- eclecticbanana likes this
- ohnomrsa likes this
- batsecretary likes this
- feminist-phoenix likes this
- clownyprincess likes this
- clownyprincess said: I just want to know where all this has been going down!
- kryptongirl likes this
- citrusmalicious likes this
- constellation-funk said: …What if you’re not sure?
- blackalice likes this
- themomentstealer likes this
- thehappysorceress likes this
- gailsimone posted this